The walkway and patio are essential parts of the house. These are among the most visible areas of the property. This is why it is important that they are paid attention to. They should be kept clean and in order. Additionally, they have to look pleasant at all times. This gives the owners a welcoming feel every time they step into their property. This is also a great way to improve the curb appeal of a property.
Bricks or pavers are among the best materials to enhance your walkway and patio. You can hire a professional. But if you have time, you can learn the basics and install them yourself. There are several things you have to consider first. You need to make certain preparations.
Before you begin:
It is important that you are familiar with the different types of bricks you are going to install. There are various types. Some have structural functions while others serve decorative purposes. There are also those that serve as both. Some of the different types are face brick, building brick, clinker brick and glazed brick. It is important that you know the different types of bricks so that you will know your options. With the wide array of choices, you will surely be able to pick one that will complement and enhance the beauty of your property.
The installation process:
- See to it that you have a plan. You should have an idea of how the finish product will look. After that, make the necessary measurements. It is important that you measure the area properly because you will base the amount of materials you are going to purchase here. In addition to that, you should also have a schedule. This is very helpful if you have limited help.
- Prepare the space as well. You need to dig out the area where you want to install the brick or paver walkway. This is important to provide a strong base for it. In some areas, six to eight inches is enough. However, it is recommended to dig one foot deep. You can use a string to check if the excavation is deep enough.
- After the excavation, place about 3/4 inch gravel stone and tamp it down. You will also need to spread sand over the gravel, about 2-inch high. Tamp the sand down as well.
- After laying down the base, you need to set guides by using pipes. This will serve as guide for your screeding. When using a screed board made of wood, it should not be longer than 8 feet as it will flex when pulled.
- After screeding, install the borders to keep the shape of the walkway or patio. There are plastic brick borders available in the market. Read the instruction carefully for proper installation.
- Once you have done all the preparations, start putting the bricks in place. You can follow different patterns. You will most likely need to cut them to make them fit. See to it that you use the right splitter so that you will not damage the brick when cutting them.
Point to note when doing brick walk ways for your restaurant
You do not need a pro to install bricks or pavers. You just have to learn how to prepare the area and make the necessary base. Get the building materials yourself like the 1000 bricks M2 from your local hardware and do it yourself.