Scarborough is the last settlement before the Cape of Good Hope and is surrounded by nature reserve, with the Cape Peninsula National Park to the south and Baskloof Nature Reserve rising on the steep Fynbos inclines behind. Situated at the mouth of the Schusters River, this sleepy, eclectic village provides the perfect spot for talented and aspirant chef, Bruce Robertson, to reflect his playful attitude and eclectic experimentation, in the launch of his latest radical dining concept: The Boat House.
A charming Cape Cod-style beach house, with 180-degree views of the ocean from its living space celebrates the ‘Art of Table d’Hote’, an opportunity to dine with this leading South African culinary creative. The Boat House is a peaceful retreat, immersed in natural beauty and infused with an unusual sense of remoteness, bordered by the sea and rugged, rocky hillsides. A minutes trail walk through milkwood trees leads to the broad white sandy beach, ever changing as it is molded by the Cape’s winter storms. The craggy rocks provide a wealth of interesting seafood; the dark kelp beds swaying in the waters around the point are a rich breeding ground for crayfish, rock lobster and mussels.
The idyllic scene that unfolds before the eyes of the fortunate diner inspires the five course menu, with local peninsula and seasonal ingredients the foundation of this gourmet adventure, expertly paired with a fine selection of award winning wines. The dining experience is accompanied by personalized, unique service, an insight into the world of culinary design and the enjoyment of the intricate art of excellent hosting from home.
Tantalising the palate of the touring traveler this is the ultimate ‘chef’s table’ – a late lazy, lunch on the deck, overlooking the shimmer of the silver sea, lulled by the constant lapping of waves as the sun begins its descent over the ocean.
For more information visit: http://www.chefbrucerobertson.com/p/boathouse.html
THE BOAT HOUSE EXPERIENCE WITH CHEF BRUCE ROBERTSON IN SCARBOROUGH
The Boat House is Chef Bruce Robertson’s home in Scarborough. Offering a hosted lunch or dinner for guests touring the Cape Peninsula and the Cape of Good Hope Nature Reserve. Picnic baskets are on offer if time is short. It is advisable to complete the majority of the tour first before coming to lunch at 13h00 at The Boat House.
Bruce is your Chef/Waiter/Sommelier and Host on the day and the meals and cooking are very interactive indeed.
The menu is Table d’hôte/Set and ‘Seafood’ in nature, and may vary from day to day as all the produce is sourced locally, and purchased fresh on the day. Please note the new rates for 2013 valid from 01 January to 31 October 2013.
5 Course Lunch/Set menu ‘Table d'hôte’ @R550.00 per/person with a ‘Tasting’ of 5 Wines.
• Monday – Saturday. Please note The Boat House is closed on Sundays
• The 5 wines presented are ‘Tasters’@80ml x5/the equivalent of 2 full glasses of wine. Additional ‘tasting’ glasses of wine will be charged @ R15/glass.
• As it is a hosted lunch with Bruce as your Chef/Waiter/Sommelier and Host we ask that you make your guides and drivers aware that lunch is for a prompt 13h00 arrival unless communicated and organised otherwise.
• The menu is Table d’hôte/Set and ‘Seafood’ in nature, so please do forward any dietaries/ Allergies timelessly.
• The Boat House can also be booked on an exclusive use basis, please request a quote for this at the time of booking.
• No children under 12 years unless The Boat House is booked on an exclusive basis.
• Minimum numbers 2, maximum 16.
3 Course Dinner/Set menu ‘Table d'hôte’ @R320.00 per/person…beverages not included
• Friday evenings only.
• Wine list available but included in set price
• Exclusive groups of 8 – 12 guests can request dinners Monday – Thursdays and Saturdays
• As it is a hosted dinner with Bruce as your Chef/Waiter/Sommelier and Host we ask that you make your guides and drivers aware that dinner is for a prompt 19h30 arrival.
• No children under 12 years unless The Boat House is booked on an exclusive basis
THE GOURMET BASKET: simply stylish and yummy @R330.00 for two people.
THE EXECUTIVE BASKET: a culinary delight with a ‘little’ something to celebrate @R380.00 for two people.
• 24hr notice on ‘The booking of a basket …’
• Picnic Baskets available every day including Sundays
• Pick up time between 12H00-13H00/Returned on the same day, thank you.
• All dietaries to be confirmed 24hrs prior to pick up.
• Regrettably the basket is not ‘To the taste’ of children under 10 years old.
• A ‘Certified’ copy of Passport identification AND a guest or guide to sign the acceptance letter of ‘Rental’ & Responsibility before taking the basket.
All Meals (x5 in total) Meal Beverages/Accommodation (x2 Nights: Friday & Saturday) and all services inclusive R2 950.00 per person. This package is commissionable at 15%.
The Itinerary Overview
• Arrival 15h00
• Friday Dinner - Canapés/oysters and bubbles on the balcony to start…
• 3 course gourmet dinner
• Saturday Breakfast – Gourmet Breakfast
• Saturday Lunch - 5 course ‘Seafood Lunch’ paired to a ‘Tasting’ of Five Award-winning wines or an Executive Picnic Basket
• Saturday Dinner - The ‘Mystery Basket Dinner! Totally interactive/one on one cooking/the art of learning to cook from the seasonal market ‘Basket.’ Making bread/pasta…and many more culinary tips…
• Sunday Breakfast /depart
• Check out time 10h00
Guides and Drivers
• Please make it clear at the time of booking if the guide/ and or driver are joining Chef Bruce for lunch
• Reduced rate for guides - R160